Your Image
Lesson 23
第23课
One man's meat is another man's poison
一个人的肉是另一个人的毒药
What was it about snails that made the writer collect them for his friend on that day in particular?
是什么让作家在那天为他的朋友收集蜗牛呢?
People become quite illogical when they try to decide what can be eaten and what cannot be eaten.
当人们试图决定什么可以吃,什么不能吃时,他们变得相当不合逻辑。
If you lived in the Mediterranean, for instance, you would consider octopus a great delicacy.
例如,如果你住在地中海,你会认为章鱼是一种美味佳肴。
You would not be able to understand why some people find it repulsive.
你将无法理解为什么有些人觉得它令人厌恶。
On the other hand, your stomach would turn at the idea of frying potatoes in animal fat - the normally accepted practice in many northern countries.
另一方面,你的胃会转向用动物脂肪煎土豆的想法-这是许多北方国家通常接受的做法。
The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives.
可悲的事实是,我们大多数人已经长大吃某些食物,我们坚持他们所有我们的生活。
No creature has received more praise and abuse than the common garden snail.
没有任何生物比普通的花园蜗牛受到更多的赞扬和虐待。
Cooked in wine, snails are a great luxury in various parts of the world.
在葡萄酒中煮熟,蜗牛在世界各地都是一种伟大的奢侈品。
There are countless people who, ever since their early years, have learned to associate snails with food.
有数不清的人,从早年起,就学会了将蜗牛与食物联系起来。
My friend, Robert, lives in a country where snails are despised.
我的朋友罗伯特住在一个蜗牛被鄙视的国家。
As his flat is in a large town, he has no garden of his own.
由于他的公寓在一个大镇上,他没有自己的花园。
For years he has been asking me to collect snails from my garden and take them to him.
多年来,他一直要求我从我的花园里收集蜗牛,并把它们带到他那里。
The idea never appealed to me very much, but one day, after a heavy shower, I happened to be walking in my garden when I noticed a huge number of snails taking a stroll on some of my prize plants.
这个想法从来没有吸引过我,但是有一天,在一场大雨之后,我碰巧在我的花园里散步,当我注意到大量的蜗牛在我的一些奖品植物上散步时。
Acting on a sudden impulse, I collected several dozen, put them in a paper bag, and took them to Robert.
在一个突然的冲动,我收集了几十个,把它们放在一个纸袋,并把它们带到罗伯特。
Robert was delighted to see me and equally pleased with my little gift.
罗伯特很高兴见到我,同样也很高兴我的小礼物。
I left the bag in the hall and Robert and I went into the living room where we talked for a couple of hours.
我把包留在大厅里,罗伯特和我走进客厅,在那里我们聊了几个小时。
I had forgotten all about the snails when Robert suddenly said that I must stay to dinner.
当罗伯特突然说我必须留下来吃晚饭时,我已经忘记了所有关于蜗牛的事情。
Snails would, of course, be the main dish.
当然,蜗牛是主菜。
I did not fancy the idea and I reluctantly followed Robert out of the room.
我不喜欢这个想法,我不情愿地跟着罗伯特走出了房间。
To our dismay,
令我们沮丧,
we saw that there were snails everywhere:
我们看到到处都是蜗牛:
they had escaped from the paper bag
他们从纸袋里逃了出来
and had taken complete possession of the hall
并完全占有了大厅
I have never been able to look at a snail since then.
从那以后,我再也看不到蜗牛了.